Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Where do you begin?

   I honestly didn't know where to start when I began thinking about weight-loss surgery, so I have put together 4 very important areas that are going to help you prepare for this life-changing decision and keep you emotionally invested:

  • Pick your doctor carefully! I personally had consults with three doctors. They were all more than qualified, but I selected the doctor who really listened to my concerns and helped me make the best surgical decision based on those concerns. It is also important to feel comfortable asking questions of your doctor. If he or she makes you feel dumb or stupid for asking questions, that person does NOT need to be operating on you.
  • Do your research! I know those packets of information your doctor handed you seem a little bit over the top but, trust me, they are going to be a very useful tool. Reading them will go into more detail about what to expect and raise some very valid questions to ask your doctor during your next visit. They'll also help you educate those around you who haven't heard of THE SLEEVE. That's one of the reasons I'm starting this blog. I haven't found any blogs about people chronicling their weight loss experience with the sleeve and I think it allows you to do your own research and see it from the perspective of someone experiencing it.
  • Ask questions! No question is too stupid or dumb to be asked. It's just like they tell you in high school and college, "If you have a question, ASK IT! Chances are someone else has that same question." They just don't have the balls to ask it....so grow a pair and ask it yourself.
  • Get a support system in place! Most of the doctors just told me "Make sure you have someone available to help you for a few days." To me that is very different than telling someone they need a support system. For me it was important to have a group of people to depend on for much longer than the post-op recovery process. I need people who are going to make sure I'm making healthy choices and who are going to join me on my journey to a healthier me.
                                         MEET MY SUPPORT SYSTEM
My mom and dad

My husband, Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment