Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Protein Experiment

   So now that my surgery is finally within my grasp I have really begun to buckle down and make sure that I have this protein "thing" figured out. Protein is by far one of my biggest concerns when it comes to post-op care. Anyone who has done a moderate amount of VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) research knows that one of the risks of the surgery is experiencing hair loss. This is an unfortunate side-effect that occurs from people getting insufficient amounts of protein. I've read several theories blaming the hair loss on anesthesia, but it just doesn't make any logical sense.

   When I asked my nutritionist about it, she said it actually happens from the traumatic experience that your body is undergoing post-op. That makes perfect sense to me! Your body is literally in shock/survival mode. From what I've read and heard from other people it's also something you can't avoid altogether. However, you can make it minimal by giving your body the protein it needs and sticking to your multi-vitamin. For the most part people say that the only people who will notice your hair loss are going to be you and your hair-dresser. I can deal with that!

   In my quest to make sure that I'm getting the protein I need, I've been trying to amount an arsenal of protein supplements and products that I can use as tools in my weight loss. I absolutely love the whey protein powder from Trader Joe's, but I need to be able to have some instant options for those days I'm running late to school and don't have the time to make a protein shake. So today I started looking for protein drinks and stumbled upon the answer to my prayers on the first try!

BEHOLD!

Bolthouse Farms Chocolate Protein Plus

 
This protein drink is amazing! It tastes like melted down chocolate ice cream, and the best part is that it doesn't leave that chalky texture in your mouth when you are done drinking it. I have to admit that my tendency is to drink protein drinks that are fruity because, from previous experiences with diets products, "chocolate" flavors never taste like real chocolate. However I can say that I am so glad I grabbed this instead of my usual strawberry/banana option. It will be a great dessert replacement. I feel like my sweet tooth has been curbed and I don't feel bad because I just put 30 grams of protein in my body and only 210 calories for my entire meal.
 
In the words of Squirt and Crush....
 
"Sweet."
"Totally!"

These are the nutrition facts.

 
And this is my attempt at taking a better picture of the bottle. However, every time I moved my kitty would come get in the picture too. She loves any liquid in a bottle and always thinks it's for her, since we always give her bottled water. Silly girl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment